Sunday, September 30, 2007

Journal # 14 How to raise the children?

When I was a child, I love the TV series: The Cosby Show. From the show, I got my first impression in US family—free, cheerful and happy. Children can directly express what they want to say and discuss it with the entire family as well as they have their own room and private spaces. Also, they should get responsible for their own choices and earn the money if they want buying something they like. The parents in US treat children as a real adult and that is amazing me a lot. Parents train their children to make their own decision even the hardest one as well as educate their children about how to be critical thinkers.

When I grow up and came to the U.S., I realized that not all American parents are perfect like the TV series and they still have some struggles in raising a child. I personally prefer the way which the US parents foster their child and it really improve children’s responsibility and independence. In my country, Taiwan, grade is everything. The parents push their children persuade higher education also the higher scores but they never think about children’s need and characteristics. The parents sometimes give too much attention in the grade instead of encouraging their children to think. Finally, some of the children in Taiwan do not think critically and too depend on their parents. I am glad that my parents raising me with love and free. I can do whatever I want but their principle is “do right things at right time and be responsible to your choice”.

1 comment:

leinster said...

Television romanticize life rather than depict reality. It is very misleading.